Assay Technology had its origin in 1981 in a small garage lab in Silicon Valley where some of us pondered how to monitor personal exposure to chemicals. With “cost-effective & convenient” as our “mantra”, we sought to replace inconvenient pumps and hazardous glass tubes with much smaller personal samplers that would not disrupt work, and would promote ease of analysis. During the 1980’s and 90’s, the industrial hygiene community (including OSHA & NIOSH) seemed skeptical that cost effective and convenient badges could out-perform the traditional, cumbersome pump-and-tube methods. At the same time, the health care industry were early adopters of Assay’s personal sampling badges, and helped us to establish our business model which still seeks the most cost-effective, convenient products integrated with seamless customer service. In the 21st century, as personal monitoring badges have become dominant in vapor sampling, Assay provides a product that is smaller and more convenient and cost-effective than competitors.
Customer Service Specialist - Livermore CA or Boardman, OH office - Posted 3/6/20
Assay Technology, a Livermore company, owned and operated by its employees, is seeking a smart, versatile communicator to supplement our people who provide live customer service. This position would be approximately 30-40 hours per week. Assay embraces part-time employees as contributors, offering employee ownership benefits to employees working > 500 hrs/year.
Assay provides services in the industrial hygiene monitoring field to customers and prospects associated with hospitals, manufacturing facilities, consulting firms, and labs.
The customer service specialist’s main responsibility will be providing supreme service and technical support to customers over the phone and by electronic means.
A successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter, customer service-oriented person. Attention to detail and ability to multitask is essential. Must also be reliable and willing to go the extra mile. Must be a strong team-player, working within your own department and with staff outside your department to support and achieve company goals.
This is NOT your ordinary customer service job. We will train and support, but an ability to learn technical concepts is a must and will be evaluated during the interview(s).
- Some chemistry/science related education
- Experience in customer service, 2+ years
- AA/AS (required) or BA/BS degree (highly desired)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks according to importance to meet deadlines
- Problem-solving skills
- Technical experience with Microsoft Office
- A desire to face challenges, solve problems, and implement company goals
- Answer incoming calls live via toll-free hotline
- Respond to email & chat requests, provide quotes, as needed
- Maintain customer database according to set procedures
- Document customer contacts, plans, and transactions
- Educate customers and answer their questions regarding our products & services
- Process orders that arrive by telephone, fax, and e-mail, and customer portals
- Log in samples as needed
- Shipping and receiving as needed
- Work closely with all departments to ensure product and service schedule requests are met, and orders are shipped out on time
- Learn and implement company policies and procedures
- Train other employees, as well as cross-train with teammates
- Make outgoing calls to sales prospects as required
- Work with marketing on special promotional projects & participate in other activities, as required
Reports to: Manager, Marketing & Customer Service
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Note: Applications without a cover letter will NOT be considered.